Thinking of adding hand cream to your daily routine? Here are 3 reasons why you should.
We get it, keeping your hands moisturized can be challenging – especially since we have all been washing our hands more than ever during COVID-19. Scrubbing your hands and frequently applying hand sanitizer ruthlessly strips your hands of all the natural oils produced to protect your skin. Hand sanitizer’s high alcohol content can even make your hands prone to aging and fine lines. During the pandemic, it is more important than ever to make sure you are taking care of yourself, and that includes your skin. Here are the top 3 reasons that we love using a hydrating hand cream every single day:
1) Keep your hands wrinkle-free
Anti-aging skin care routines typically include eye creams and facial moisturizers, but did you know that your hands can be one of the first areas on your body to show your age? Your hands have thinner, more fragile skin with constant exposure to chemicals and UV rays, which is why it is extra important to add a hand cream to your daily routine. Hand creams help keep your hands looking young by fighting wrinkles, sun spots, fine lines, roughness, and so much more. Additionally, your hands are always shedding skin cells. The rejuvenating properties of hand creams will help speed up the cellular turnover process – replacing your dry skin with new skin cells. Try an anti-aging hand cream like this one for extra help in keeping the skin on your hands looking youthful.
2) Prevent dry, cracked hands
Who doesn’t want silky smooth hands? Using a hand cream after every time you wash your hands is key to keeping your hands smooth and supple. If you are suffering from dry, cracked hands, some of the best moisturizing ingredients for your hands include:
- Dimethicone. This helps seal in moisture on the skin’s surface, making your hands look and feel super soft and smooth.
- Shea butter. This natural butter has high fatty acid content, which quickly absorbs into your skin and restores lipids, which provides elasticity and moisture to the skin. Shea butter is filled with vitamin A and vitamin E, which can also help reduce the appearance of fine lines!
- Glycerin. Glycerin not only locks in the moisture in your hands, but it can also protect your hands against the harsh winter air that can make your skin dry and flaky!
- Hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance produced by the body typically found in your skin and your eyes. Exposure to the UV rays and other elements can decrease the amount that is present in your skins. Using a cream on your hands with hyaluronic acid will plump the skin, improving the appearance of fine lines. Amazing right?
Make sure to look for a hand cream with any combination of these amazing ingredients!
3) Keep your cuticles healthy
Hand creams will not only make your hands look healthy and smooth, but also your nails. Moisture loss in your cuticles can cause your nails to become fragile, causing nail breakage (ouch!). If you get your nails done frequently, you will want to add a hand or nail cream to your routine to counteract the drying properties of nail polish remover, or strengthen your nails after gel or SNS polish. We recommend a hand cream like this one, that will rejuvenate your hand and nails. The moisturizing elements of hand cream will condition your nails and cuticles, resulting in strong healthy nails.
(Also, who doesn’t want healthy nails to pair with their beauty, youthful looking hands?! We sure do.)
There’s no doubt that using a hand cream on your hands this winter will result in younger, smoother, moisturized hands. Now here are some of our beauty expert’s top tips when moisturizing your hands this winter.
- Stay away from lotions for your hands! Lotions are typically water based, and don’t have the same moisture-locking benefits that you see in hand creams.
- Moisturize after every wash. Think of it as an added step to your routine and you will have noticeably smoother hands in no time!
- Be prepared on the go! Throw a hand cream in your bag so you can reap major moisturizing benefits while on the go. We recommend this one, that won’t take up much space in your purse.
- Check the ingredients. As we mentioned above, look for a cream with high quality moisturizing properties to make sure your hands are getting the love they deserve.
Keeping your hands from cracking and flaking can be tough. Hand sanitizer and soap will wear down the natural oils in your hands. Take some of these tips and walk into this winter with a new hand cream, and you will come out with smoother, firmer, healthier hands. Hydration looks good on you – trust us!
Looking for more hand cream recommendations? Here are some more of our favorites:
Jack Black Industrial Strength Hand Healer // Specially formulated for dry, cracked hands, this product replenishes the skin with lasting moisture.
ELEMIS Pro-Radiance Hand and Nail Cream // ELEMIS Pro-Radiance Hand and Nail Cream 3.4 oz is your go-to to rejuvenate and restore your hands and nails.
Davines Oi Hand Balm // The Oi Hand Balm 2.53 oz. 2 Pack from Davines deeply hydrates to nourish skin and prevent the irritation caused by cold weather or hand washing.
StriVectin-SD Volumizing Hand Cream // Specifically formulated to nourish, plump and brighten delicate, aging-prone skin, leaving hands looking and feeling younger.
Make sure to shop with Beauty Roulette for all of your beauty needs! From hair, to skin, to cosmetics, we’ve got you covered.
Looking for more beauty tips? Follow The Beauty Roulette Editorial at www.beautyroulette.com/blog and keep up with us on Instagram @beautyroulette.